Monday, July 6, 2015

hooks, b. “Confronting Class in the Classroom”

1.) What is class antagonism? A synonym of antagonist is is adversary or rival. It is defined as actively opposing or hostile to someone or something thing. In relation to the classroom, Hooks describes class antagonism as the notion that students and educators from working class backgrounds are "outsiders" and "interlopers".

2.) I agree with this position. I believe that for those of us who have several obstacles to overcome before we can even begin to work towards our dreams have all felt like outsiders at some point during our academic careers. I like the comparison Hooks made between working class families and African American students (page 5). Hooks describes how African Americans often feel like they are in a different world when placed academically with privileged Caucasian students. African Americans feel they need to find ways to adapt and live between two different worlds, often feeling victims to circumstance. I find this to be accurate based on personal experiences. Myself being African American and a woman from a working middle class family felt I had to prove myself worthy of the education I was receiving. I did not feel everyone else had to do that, just me. I think that is tied into the victim mentality Hooks says is likely to occur. Some of my peers that were not in college wanted to know what I did to deserve to better myself. I often felt like my peers in my classes who were from the upper class backgrounds thought the same thing, leaving me in the middle trying to please both ends of the two worlds I was living in while remaining true to myself. I think this is true of people academically involved who come from working class backgrounds. At some point or another we all feel like we have something to prove. We feel it is our job to show we belong without causing to much of a fuss, because we don't want to be viewed as "lower class". The association of bad manners with class is just one example of class antagonism. Hooks makes a valid point when he describes class as more than materialistically or economically mature. Class, or the idea of class affects values, attitudes and relationships (page 1). I also find this to be accurate in comparison to the African American experience to the working class experience. When you look different than the majority of people around you there are multiple  things that go through your mind. First is always the many stereotypes your wondering if you peers are thinking about you, followed by the obsession to prove them wrong by being the best you can be, all while trying to meet their standards. I have found in my experience with class it is a very real thing but it is up to you to create your own platform. Now instead of conforming or being militant in defense, I just do what works best for me. For some people, not all class is a very real thing. For others, its just a label. Whatever the case may be, you have to be true to yourself. You can not change your background only your future.

3.) What does Hooks mean when he says "Those of us in the academy from working-class backgrounds are empowered when we recognize our own agency.." ?  How do you balance being outspoken when censorship is being asked of you? I believe Hooks is referring to the courage and strength it takes to work in these academic conditions and still be successful. Its about constructively using the antagonism we receive (page 6). By doing that we begin to challenge the existing structure. I believe this is true. I believe in a way class antagonism gives the working class an advantage. We learn hope to operate between two worlds. Being able to adapt and overcome while challenging the current structure in place can bring the change needed to better the academic environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment